Internal communication on OuiShare projects
At our last french summit (end of june), we held one discussion about how to improve our internal communication, especially concerning projects.
The issues discussed concerning project’s internal communication :_
* it’s often difficult for newcomers to understand / grab all that’s happening within OuiShare
* even not for newcomers, knowing what is happening within the different projects can often prove tricky, and it leads to long afternoon of updates every six month at every summit.
* but not everyone is interested in everything, and we also want to avoid sharing too much informations, sometimes too soon, and making debates when not needed
What the point of improving it ?
* It can help newcomers find their place or add their value faster
* it can help avoid that similar projects or ideas are developed in parallel
* it can help us present OuiShare projects to other people and make interesting connexions
* it can foster collective intelligence and belonging within the community, and bring in new ideas
* we talk about it at a french scope, but in the end the question is a global one
What to do ?
The thing is that we don’t miss any tool within OuiShare, we almost have too much.
So I proposed the idea that maybe it’s not a tool that we miss, but a role. It’s not “my” idea, but a best practice I took from this interesting document (sorry, in french), that is called : Une heure par semaine pour animer une grande communauté
(“One hour a week to manage a big community”)
In this document, they present the role of the facilitator for the community, as the person in charge of being pro-active to help project leaders being in touch with the community.
We agreed we could test
* collectively to have and update a central directory of OS projects : I updated as I could OuiShare teams spreadsheet in our OuiShare Dashboard with some projects presented at last global summit on the , but the only information I had was what I could read in this picture so please take time to check and update before end of august
* for new projects, the project coordinators are in charge of 1. making a post in loomio to inform about it and 2. adding the project in the dashboard. For projects that concerns France, it has been suggested that a HO or even a meeting IRL to inform about the project would be nice.
* to have someone in charge of reminding every month the different “project coordinators” / “projects stewards” to update their informations on the spreadsheed ( what is the next activity / step of your project, when is the next meeting of the project), and inform more in details in loomio the community about what is going on when needed. I’m volunteer to start and try this role.
* check in 6 months how useful it is, how much value it brings to the community, how much time it takes to the “facilitator” and what kind of improvement we should do on that.
What’s next ?
* If you have any objection concerning this proposition and why we shouldn’t test that process please let me know !
* If you have already any suggestion or want to show support to this proposition, please do!
* If you’re part of a project, please check that it is already in the list, and either update it or add it before end of August.
Thanks for reading it, and have a lovely summer!