Loomio

Notifications

JR Jason Robinson Public Seen by 148

OK this thing is bugging me daily so raising a thread about it.

The notifications popup that we have, why does it have to mark all the five visible comments as read when you keep it open for a few seconds? This is just really frustrating as the notifications themselves don't give any clue what the target post is, so after they are all marked read, I have to click through all of them even if they would all concern only a few posts.

Also, why just 5? I would love to have it scrollable, so I can read my notifications from the menu and they would be only marked read when I have seen the actual post in question.

This is how Facebook works and tbh it's fantastic :)

Do people like the way it is or can I make an attempt to change it?

JL

Jelle Langbroek Fri 6 Dec 2013 12:30PM

Oh yeah! I totally agree. It would be great if the popup had more information so you don't have to click all items just to find out the next refers to the previous you've already viewed.
Scrollable is okay, but I don't miss it. When I want to see more, I just click 'view all'.

JR

Jason Robinson Fri 6 Dec 2013 1:39PM

The mobile notifications actually work really well, though more information about the post in question would be great.

G

goob Fri 6 Dec 2013 2:36PM

Definitely yes to the first point. It's something which bugs me as well. Marking notifications as read should happen only by hovering over or clicking on the individual notification, not en masse a few seconds after the popup pane has been opened, as happens at the moment.

As to the second, I certainly wouldn't object to the pane being scrollable, but it doesn't bother me the way it is. It's easy enough to click 'View all', and in any case I suspect that for the majority of users, it would be rare for there to be more than 5 unread notifications when they check in. I can't see a downside of making the pane scrollable, but it's not as high a priority for me as changing the behaviour of 'marked as read'.

@jellelangbroek, there is a user Javascript which appends the post title to each notification in the list. It would be great if someone could adapt this for the main Diaspora code base. See https://userscripts.org/scripts/show/164822

JR

Jason Robinson Fri 6 Dec 2013 2:52PM

@goob cool userscript - would definitely prefer that way than how it is at the moment - might take a hack at it :) I've grown to dislike any kind of page modifying scripts and as diaspora is open source better just modify the code itself ;)

G

goob Fri 6 Dec 2013 3:08PM

Yes, @jasonrobinson if you (or someone) can do that, it would be fantastic. I think Deus Figendi writes those add-on scripts because that's the code he's comfortable working with.

I assume he's happy for anyone to modify his code, but would be worth checking to make sure before working on it.

SM

Seth Martin Fri 6 Dec 2013 6:23PM

I don't think the pane needs to be scrollable but please do remove this annoying feature that marks the notifications as read.

JR

Jason Robinson Fri 6 Dec 2013 8:19PM

Great that there seems to be annoyance with the automarkread thing in not just me :P

@goob I don't think it's realistic to use an external user script code for internal diaspora code as is - so no problems :) For example, looking at this piece of code, it makes extra ajax requests to fetch the post data for the notifications. Of course this would not be necessary if the data was built in for rendering.

G

goob Fri 6 Dec 2013 9:38PM

Cool, I didn't know how much it would have to be adapted, or even whether you'd have to start from scratch - I just linked to it in case it gives any ways in to coding something for the main code base. I'll leave it in your capable hands!

KAK

Karthikeyan A K Sat 7 Dec 2013 2:46AM

agree with @jasonrobinson , have a scrollable notification.

G

goob Sat 7 Dec 2013 2:16PM

Have just opened the notifications pane and watched what happens, and the five notifications don't quite get read as marked all en masse. Some notifications at least went from unread to read individually, as the cursor is moved around, but once one gets marked as read, the others seem to follow very quickly. So it seems the code already does recognise cursor behaviour and takes each notification as separate, but perhaps the amount of time the cursor needs to be left over each notification before it gets marked as read needs to be increased.

Load More