Loomio
Tue 17 Sep 2013 3:45AM

"Discussion" vs "Dialogue"

AI Alanna Irving Public Seen by 164

What if we changed references to "discussion" on Loomio to "Dialogue" instead?

Discussion

mid-14c., "examination, investigation, judicial trial," from Old French discussion "discussion, examination, investigation, legal trial," from Late Latin discussionem (nominative discussio) "examination, discussion," in classical Latin, "a shaking," from discussus, past participle of discutere "strike asunder, break up," from dis- "apart" (see dis-) + quatere "to shake" (see quash).

Meaning "a talking over, debating" in English first recorded mid-15c. Sense evolution in Latin appears to have been from "smash apart" to "scatter, disperse," then in post-classical times (via the mental process involved) to "investigate, examine," then to "debate."

Dialogue

See this encyclopedia entry

Dialogue (sometimes spelled dialog) is a reciprocal conversation between two or more entities. The etymological origins of the word (in Greek διά (diá,through) + λόγος (logos,word,speech, concepts like flowing-through meaning) do not necessarily convey the way in which people have come to use the word, with some confusion between the prefix διά-(diá-,through) and the prefix δι-(di-, two) leading to the assumption that a dialogue is necessarily between only two parties.

A dialogue as a form of communication has a verbal connotation. While communication can be an exchange of ideas and information by non-verbal signals, behaviors, as the etymology connotes, dialogue implies the use of language. A dialogue is distinguished from other communication methods such as discussions and debates. While debates are considered confrontational, dialogues emphasize listening and understanding.

Dialogue is used in terms like "interfaith dialogue" which specifically allude to increasing shared understanding in a collaborative way. To me, dialogue implies everyone building on what others contribute, working toward something bigger than the sum of its parts, not just advocating an individual point of view.

Although individuals often put forward conflicting points of view and talk them through on Loomio, we're not trying to build a tool for debating in the sense of two opposing views trying to "win" against one another. This is also why we don't refer to stating a position on a proposal as "voting" because it's not about contention and majority rules. It's about building shared understanding.

Loomio is a platform for collaboration. For people with differing perspectives to come together and arrive at a solution better than any individual would have come up with on their own. It's not "A vs B, who wins?" It's A + B = C, which is better than either A or B.

I think Dialogue reflects that better than Discussion. I have rarely seen the term dialogue used for online forums or apps, which would set Loomio apart and spark thinking about how communication here is different.

What do you think?

MB

Matthew Bartlett Tue 17 Sep 2013 3:50AM

I like it

RDB

Richard D. Bartlett Tue 17 Sep 2013 4:06AM

I like it.

One thing to consider: currently "Discussion" refers to two different things. One is the name of this whole page, the other is the name of this left hand column where all the comments appear.

Personally I would prefer it if we had two names for these two different things. Maybe we could start by just changing the title on this column to "Dialogue", but the bigger entity would still be called a "Discussion"?

AI

Alanna Irving Tue 17 Sep 2013 4:30AM

I would go for "collaboration" or something for the whole page. Imagine a future where the big page includes "ideas" and other aspects of a collaboration. "Dialogue" is specifically about talking back and forth to build understanding.

MB

Matthew Bartlett Tue 17 Sep 2013 5:31AM

I know this is out of sync with others' visions, but I like the idea of this page being a 'meeting'.

AI

Alanna Irving Tue 17 Sep 2013 5:43AM

rendezvous :p

MN

max noble Tue 17 Sep 2013 5:52AM

Wow..good point...sounds good...

"To me, dialogue implies everyone building on what others contribute, working toward something bigger than the sum of its parts, not just advocating an individual point of view."

MN

max noble Tue 17 Sep 2013 5:54AM

Dialogue feels like brainstorming time

Discussion is is like analysis time

AT

Aaron Thornton Tue 17 Sep 2013 7:26AM

I like it too Alanna! Side by side - Discussion seems dry and arbitrary and Dialog rich and constructive... or maybe i'm just colouring it that way?

CT

Chris Taklis Tue 17 Sep 2013 8:23AM

Discussion and dialogue has 2 different meanings. I don't know what it is better, but both looks good.

RBW

Rachel B. Wickert Tue 17 Sep 2013 10:02AM

I prefer dialogue too. As @alannakrause suggested it could be used to make a point as long as anyone could trace the rationale back. In the field of sociology of knowledge production (kind of my field) they go further to distinguish monologic and dialogic dialogue. The former being a lecture like communication (rather hierarchical and linear) and the latter being based on reciprocity. http://www.bu.edu/sed/files/2010/11/HD.OConnor.pdf
I am not suggesting to use dialogic thought! That would be weird.

Load More