Loomio
Sat 31 Aug 2013 7:31PM

Make podmin e-mail public

F Flaburgan Public Seen by 133

I was working on personalizing my pod today, and I wanted to put the e-mail used to signal a problem on the home page. It was at the bottom of the page and I thought I should put it in the footer. I created a PR doing that, but Jonne pointed that it can be possible that podmins don't want their email public.

What do you think? Is that a problem? This address is used to point problems to podmins. Some problems need to be reported without having to log in. Do you agree to see your podmin email public ?

G

goob Sat 31 Aug 2013 7:55PM

I'm not a podmin yet, but I'm planning to become one, and I wouldn't want my email public.

Even for those who don't mind, if their email address is en clair on the home page, which can be seen without logging in, it could be harvested by spammers.

I'd think a form would be better, which can be filled in and which will reach the podmin, but which doesn't involve the email address being made public.

F

Flaburgan Sat 31 Aug 2013 7:59PM

The form is not a solution against spam, and seriously, after spending a whole evening sending mails to journalists to inform them about the anniversary, I can say it : I HATE CONTACT FORMS. They never work, you never know if the message will really be received, it's horrible.

Remember @goob, the e-mail is the one used to support users, not your personal one. It's [email protected] for me.

JR

Jason Robinson Sun 1 Sep 2013 3:02PM

The email is already public? At least on my pod it's just a button with a mailto: link.

Personally I would make it a requirement for pods to specify a contact email and other details of the podmin - but that's just me :)

JH

Jonne Haß Sun 1 Sep 2013 4:03PM

@jasonrobinson hmm, where can logged out users see it?

JR

Jason Robinson Mon 2 Sep 2013 7:47AM

@jonnehass good point - didn't read things well enough my bad.

I agree a way to contact the podmin in problem cases should be given even if not logged in. So I think this is towards the right direction.

But of course if we do pull this is - a warning should be sent to podmins to make sure they have the email set up that they are ok with to display. It's so easy setting up a separate account for the pod that I don't think "I don't want my email to be visible" is a very good argument.

O

OpenLifeChallenge Mon 2 Sep 2013 9:57AM

I don't think that the podmin's e-mail should be public, however a contact form should be possible to implement, mainly to reduce the risk of spam for our beloved podmins.

M

movilla Mon 2 Sep 2013 10:30PM

R

Ravenbird Tue 3 Sep 2013 5:09AM

I think a contact form with a captcha will be the best way. And there is also the webmaster@domain adress.

JR

Jason Robinson Tue 3 Sep 2013 6:15AM

@movilla I don't see why there should be two podmin emails if the podmin email is separate from the podmin user account anyway? It's just a contact address - podmins can use webmaster@domain address if they want.

Ravenbird - domain admins don't automatically set up a webmaster address even though it is recommended. That cannot be trusted.

I'd say we vote on form vs email. It's opt-in anyway for podmins.

F

Poll Created Tue 3 Sep 2013 7:34AM

Visitors should be able to contact podmin by e-mail without being logged Closed Thu 12 Sep 2013 8:08AM

Outcome
by Flaburgan Tue 25 Apr 2017 5:50AM

We will not put the e-mail public

It's important to be able to contact the podmin to point a problem. And problem can be "I do not success to sign in or to register", "invitation link doesn't work"... and in these cases, the user is not logged in, that's why he has to have a way to contact the podmin directly.

I propose to use e-mail and not a contact form because contact form are always limited (no attachment, no information about the reception of the message...)

This implies to put the podmin contact e-mail public. The e-mail is already accessible to every user, it's definitely not a private one. We just have to be careful with spam.

Results

Results Option % of points Voters
Agree 37.1% 13 JR F R M EK S N DB PP E S ACP QD
Abstain 22.9% 8 JH T EG F R A MM S
Disagree 37.1% 13 ST FS M G DM AS O M D L SM S S
Block 2.9% 1 TS
Undecided 0% 245 BK MS AA S CB HF BO DM GC JH RF G AX PC PP BB LP T DY SH

35 of 280 people have participated (12%)

Load More