Loomio
Wed 28 Aug 2013 12:44PM

Bring back the "unfollow" and "follow"-Buttons

F Faldrian Public Seen by 90

While we are at it… these are Buttons, that are really needed.

Functionality:
If you hit the “follow”-Button on a post, you will receive notifications like when you commented the post - but without commenting it. Nice to keep track of things that are interesting to you, but you won’t have to comment and cause a notification to all others, that are receiving notifications for this post.

The unfollow-button removed this subscription. This works regardless how you followed. If you write a comment, you “follow” the post. If it’s your post, you follow it - just like it works now.

Why I need the “unfollow” Button:
I had some posts, that had some comments. So far, so good. But then the discussion drifted away in a direction, I really didn’t want to read the comments. I would have “hidden” the post, but this is not possible with own posts. I didn’t want to delete it, because if they want to discuss - they should do so. But I wanted to no longer receive notifications.
For this szenario the unfollow-button would be the apropriate thing to use.

DS

Dennis Schubert Wed 28 Aug 2013 12:55PM

We had some database load issues with this in the past.

F

Faldrian Wed 28 Aug 2013 1:03PM

@Dennis

Okay, maybe you could explain what the load issues were? Maybe there is another way to implement it... I don't want the idea in general to get lost just because it was hard to implement / to get up to speed. :)

F

Flaburgan Wed 28 Aug 2013 1:13PM

That's exactly the original objective of the "pin" now "like" action.

EG

Erwan Guyader Wed 28 Aug 2013 5:09PM

The like has a different behavior since this information is shared with other users.
As I understand the proposal (and would like to see myself), the follow action would let you track posts of interest to you while keeping this private.

SM

Seth Martin Fri 30 Aug 2013 3:59AM

I would rather have a follow/unfollow toggle than a like button. I often use the like button as such. Since these options should have different behavior, I would like to have both available.

R

Ravenbird Tue 3 Sep 2013 5:13AM

I think a follow/unfolow function is very important.

PG

Paul Greindl Tue 3 Sep 2013 3:50PM

Agreed! Follow/unfollow in addition to like would be useful

G

goob Tue 3 Sep 2013 4:50PM

I would rather see a follow/unfollow function and get rid of the like function.

M

Maciek Łoziński Sat 14 Sep 2013 10:12AM

The idea is good, but we have to make some choices, otherwise the user interface will get too complicated.

A

Airon90 Sun 6 Oct 2013 8:35AM

+1 but I think that UI would become complicated.