Loomio

Add help page

SVB Steffen van Bergerem Public Seen by 79

I think we should add a 'help' link to the right dropdown menu in the header showing a 'help' page on the pod. Once the page has been set up we could get a lot of newcomer devs to work on user manuals and translate them. (I think it is very important for new users that they can read the user manuals in their chosen language) A draft could be the wiki page FAQ for Users.

I am not able to create this page but I will be happy to work on manuals or translations.

F

Flaburgan Thu 18 Jul 2013 9:47AM

A faq inside diaspora is needed yeah. I can do the french translation too.

G

goob Thu 18 Jul 2013 9:51AM

It's a good idea, Steffen. We definitely need far better, more accessible information particularly for new users. I'd like to help with this. I can write and edit copy but won't be much use on the technical side.

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 18 Jul 2013 10:13AM

+1 for this

JR

Jason Robinson Thu 18 Jul 2013 10:14AM

Or actually, why not just make the wiki FAQ really good (and up to date) and then point a link to there directly from inside Diaspora*? I'd sort of rather have the FAQ in the wiki than contained in Diaspora* code.

F

Flaburgan Thu 18 Jul 2013 3:12PM

@jasonrobinson If you do so, then the wiki have to be translatable.

SVB

Steffen van Bergerem Thu 18 Jul 2013 3:58PM

@jasonrobinson I already thought of that. The reasons why I want to include the user manuals into the diaspora code are:

• easy translations (via webtranslateit)
  • by default in the users language
  • decentralized social network => decentralized manuals
  • possible to customize the manuals for every user (name/avatar/aspect list/…)
SVB

Steffen van Bergerem Thu 15 Aug 2013 11:29AM

I created a draft on github

G

goob Thu 15 Aug 2013 12:31PM

@steffenvanbergerem the foundation site (which is where the tutorials you have copied are destined) is translatable via WebTranslateIt in exactly the same way that Diaspora itself is. See https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora-project-site

Once translations have been created there, it should be possible to read the guides in your chosen language. Having a local copy on each pod sounds like a recipe for a mess of out-dated and conflicting guides.

SVB

Steffen van Bergerem Thu 15 Aug 2013 1:42PM

I already commented on github but will also comment here. (I think loomio is the right place for this discussion)

1. Diaspora is a decentralized network and as a user I would like to read the tutorials on my pod.
  2. Out-dated guides are great on out-dated pods ;-) We can have a tutorial on every pod that perfectly fits the version of that pod.
  3. Pod maintainers who change anything on their pod could also change the tutorials
G

goob Thu 15 Aug 2013 3:05PM

In that case, I think the help pages on pods should have different content and be in a different format from the getting started guide on the project site. For one thing, having the same guide would be needless duplication; for another, parts of the guide (for example, how to choose and sign up to a pod) would be redundant for someone who has already signed up to a pod!

There's plenty of detail in those guides that I've been stripping out to make them shorter and easier to digest. That detail could be placed into help pages on a pod, but I think it should take a different form, more similar to the FAQ rather than a getting started tutorial.

How does that sound?

Load More