Loomio

Group description location

DU Deleted account Public Seen by 32

The current location of the group description seems to be in a secondary place on the page and it's importance gets lost because of it's location.

Would it be possible to give it more emphasis by moving it immediately below the backpath links (i.e. Home > Loomio Community > Features)?

Doing so would give more emphasis to something which shapes the ethos of what happens in a group.

MB

Matthew Bartlett Tue 2 Jul 2013 6:27PM

D'you reckon it's so important that it should go in the prime spot on group page (i.e. top left) and so be noticed by members at every single visit?

DU

Deleted account Tue 2 Jul 2013 8:26PM

Yes I certainly think it is that important - It is what people are there for and it doesn't hurt to focus on what it is about for 5 seconds on a visit.

It could be possibly done in similar style to the revised discussion page.

RDB

Richard D. Bartlett Tue 2 Jul 2013 8:31PM

I've thought the same thing @neilmorris, but I think it is a balancing act. On the one hand, assuming the group description is a concise statement of the group's purpose, it is good to have it front-of-mind when making decisions together. On the other hand, once you know the purpose, you're just going to skim past it every time, so wherever it lives is essentially wasted space.

What if the description where top left, as you say, but with a button to collapse it out of sight? If the description is edited at any point, it would reset to its expanded state so everyone can see it.

DU

Deleted account Tue 2 Jul 2013 8:38PM

@richarddbartlett funny you mention the option of a button to collapse it. I was contemplating suggesting exactly that.

But in saying that it would depend how else the space is used. One of the only places I don't like in terms of Loomio design is the left hand pane of this location: https://www.loomio.org/groups/3 At least in group discussions there is something in that area at the top of the page which gives the page context. On the example I give there isn't. Given in my view that is the home of the organisation or meeting I think it needs a stronger feel about it.

RDB

Richard D. Bartlett Tue 2 Jul 2013 8:44PM

At the moment, people primarily use the Group page to navigate through discussions, but I think that is likely to change once the Inbox becomes a dropdown.

That would mean we can free up the Group page to be much more about the group, and much less about the list of discussions going on in that group. To my mind, that would include a group's logo, description, photos of recently active members, etc.

DU

Deleted account Tue 2 Jul 2013 8:54PM

Yes, exactly, it should be about creating an atmosphere for the group, defining an identity. Creating a place where people feel comfortable.