Loomio

Wiki Cleanup

ST Sean Tilley Public Seen by 16

Much work has gone into our documentation, and with the migration over to wiki.diasporafoundation.org, we can now focus on clearing up any duplicates of our docs.

ST

Poll Created Thu 13 Jun 2013 7:15PM

Clear GitHub Wiki Closed Tue 18 Jun 2013 5:00AM

The GitHub wiki has some outdated documentation in it. As we have an official wiki now, I think it is important that we systematically close down duplicate sources of documentation, so as to avoid creating confusion.

This means clearing out the GH wiki, and instead providing a link to our official source of information.

Results

Results Option % of points Voters
Agree 100.0% 5 T JR G T DM
Abstain 0.0% 0  
Disagree 0.0% 0  
Block 0.0% 0  
Undecided 0% 20 ST FS MS S HF BO JH F M G T DY SH DU DS PP W A RF Y

5 of 25 people have participated (20%)

JR

Jason Robinson
Agree
Fri 14 Jun 2013 6:23AM

A big +1 for clearing everything from the GH wiki and pointing users to only one place

G

goob
Agree
Fri 14 Jun 2013 10:44AM

Sounds great to me, as long as there's no problem from the devs' end.

FS

Florian Staudacher Fri 14 Jun 2013 8:55PM

first, we need to make sure everything has been transferred (I'm guessing it already was, but it's always good to be sure)

also, I suggest inserting links to the new wiki in every article on github, and leaving the contents there for a little while longer. then, after a "transition period" we can remove it entirely.

ST

Sean Tilley Fri 14 Jun 2013 9:07PM

I think that sounds perfectly reasonable. It wouldn't be that hard to just dig through each of the articles, and put a disclaimer with a link at the top of the page that links to its equivalent entry on the new wiki. That way, we can figure out what's missing in one fell swoop.

JH

Jonne Haß Sat 15 Jun 2013 3:01PM

There's a lot content that isn't bad but very aged or irrelevant. How about archiving the wiki under diaspora/oldwiki?

G

goob Sat 15 Jun 2013 3:56PM

Would it be worth using a two-step process for safety:

1. Person A transfers a page to the new wiki (editing as they go for out-of-date content etc) and then marking that page in Github 'Transferred to [new URL]',
  2. Then someone else checks the link, checking that the new content is correct and then deleting the page in Github?

So if you see a page in Github which is not so marked, you check whether there is yet an equivalent page in the new wiki, and if not, transfer it there, checking and editing it in the process, and then mark the page as transferred. If you see a page which is marked as transferred, check the link and if you're happy the page has been transferred correctly, delete it.

Or is this overkill?

G

goob Sat 15 Jun 2013 4:47PM

@seantilleycommunit , I still find I'm unable to create new pages in the wiki. Can you help me get started there? I'm probably missing something blindingly obvious. And yes, I am logged in when I'm trying.

I've taken the first page on the 'to-do' list and have edited, updated and added to it, and changed the markup to match the MediaWiki examples.

https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/Become-a-Contributor

If you can enable me to create new pages in the new wiki, I'll transfer it.

JH

Jonne Haß Sat 15 Jun 2013 6:55PM

@Goob Yes, I think that's overkill. We have to refurbish a large quantity anyway so nothing gained in slowing down the migration with that.

To create a new page simply visit it, i.e. http://wiki.diasporafoundation.org/Become_a_contributor and click 'Create' at the top right.

Load More