Loomio

Feature Ideas & Design

RT rory tb Public Seen by 24

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, but after reading through both sub-groups, it appeared to me that there is a lot of cross-over. I imagine a lot if not all the members are in both groups so it's probably not an issue at the moment. But with 'feature ideas' working as the creative side and 'design' the practical side, it might be beneficial for organisation and reduction on duplication/redundancy to have some kind of linkage between the two.

I can see how the two are separate groups and I'm not saying that they should necessarily be merged, however, many of the discussions in feature ideas relate to design, and many of the design discussions involved changes to features.

At the moment, one must go to both groups and read through them separately to get the full picture. While this isn't too difficult, in the long run, some method for linking groups or discussions to multiple groups may be more practical.

AI

Alanna Irving Tue 17 Dec 2013 4:49AM

@matthewbartlett do you want to comment on your vision for this subgroup?

MB

Matthew Bartlett Tue 17 Dec 2013 9:29PM

On reflection I can't see a really significant difference between the two groups. Design has tended to be a little more focused on visual design, and I've used it to expose design work I've been asked to do by the team or in response to ideas from the community.

I think Jon may have started both groups — @jonlemmon, what do you think of the idea of merging them?

JL

Jon Lemmon Wed 18 Dec 2013 8:28PM

Yeah, agree. Should probably be merged.

RDB

Richard D. Bartlett Wed 18 Dec 2013 9:28PM

Should I practice my console-fu and move all these discussions to the Feature Ideas group?

MB

Matthew Bartlett Wed 18 Dec 2013 9:29PM

Yes, but how about waiting a few days to give any supporters of keeping the groups separate a chance to weigh in?

RDB

Poll Created Wed 18 Dec 2013 10:18PM

Merge Feature Ideas and Design groups Closed Sat 21 Dec 2013 11:01PM

The proposal is to move all the discussions from Design into Feature Ideas and shut down Design

Results

Results Option % of points Voters
Agree 100.0% 7 RG JL AI MB CT RT DU
Abstain 0.0% 0  
Disagree 0.0% 0  
Block 0.0% 0  
Undecided 0% 268 JV KC NW AT BK AC G DS N CR DS DMA S PS LG K JM ML SL JW

7 of 275 people have participated (2%)

RT

rory tb Thu 19 Dec 2013 3:59AM

This is exciting! first time I've seen the polls in action haha.

Anyway, hopefull I'm creating too much of a tangent here, but in terms of future threads and groups how do we manage the layout so as to minimise duplications or conflicting polls (like two different propositions relating to the same subject with potential results that could affect the other proposition)?

Obviously we have community oversight but the bigger the community gets the less efficient this becomes. Especially if the hypothetically larger community is creating more duplicates/conflicting propositions and just to merge them let alone vote on their content contains another poll (I could see that becoming a time management and organisational nightmare) Perhaps some way of tagging other threads to threads? Like the '@' feature but to '@another-discussion' maybe?

MB

Matthew Bartlett Thu 19 Dec 2013 9:15PM

@rorytb a related idea I've had is that when you go to start a new discussion (or perhaps a new proposal, I hadn't though about that before), Loomio would give you a list of similar-looking discussions/proposals so that you could make sure you weren't reinventing the wheel.

RT

rory tb Fri 20 Dec 2013 2:59AM

@matthewbartlett Yep, I like that idea too.

For a group of friends who want to use Loomio for proposing camping trips and such it's already probably perfect. I was justing thinking that if a business co-op or a political movement were to use it, it could still benefit from some development largely focused around efficiently organising people without limiting or directing their efforts (not an easy task).

Some form of filter for creating proposals or a method to link them (or both) would certainly help with that.