Software for Remote Working/ Learning/ Socializing
With a huge proportion of the world's population facing weeks of lockdown, as part of the attempts to reduce the spread of COVID-19, a lot of those people are having to figure out on the fly how to work from home, teach/ attend online classes, or socialize with family and friends without leaving the house. This is an opportunity to test the capacity of existing free code software to provide for these needs, as well as the capacity of community-hosting groups that provide non-geeks access to these tools when they require a server. It's also an opportunity to identify gaps that might require new apps or hosting services, new ecosystems for deploying and connecting them, and new revenue models for sustaining it all.
Examples of the software freedom movement responding to community needs during the pandemic:
* NZ Open Source Society: https://nzoss.nz/covid-19-response-help-those-working-home
* Disroot.org: https://disroot.org/en/blog/covid19-kit
* Open Educational Resources universitas: https://tech.oeru.org/working-home
* Purism: https://puri.sm/posts/our-essential-list-of-free-software-for-remote-work/
* Scaleway: https://blog.scaleway.com/2020/building-jitsi-solution-powered-by-scaleway/
* COVID-19 OSS help: https://discourse.covid-oss-help.org/
* Matrix: https://matrix.org/blog/2020/04/06/running-your-own-secure-communication-service-with-matrix-and-jitsi
* CoTech: https://community.coops.tech/t/tech-co-ops-and-covid-19-solidarity/1972
* Hypha Cooperative: https://covid19.hypha.coop/
More examples at:
Vincenzo Giorgino started a proposal Sun 19 Apr
EUvsVirus PANhackaton Closed Wed 22 Apr
To all those in Europe who are interested in contributing to the digital response to the Covid-19 I report this initiative:
SIGN UP TODAY
PLEASE DO NOTE VOTE! Just READ AND ACT.
|Agree - 0|
|Abstain - 1|
|Disagree - 0|
|Block - 0|
Tue 21 Apr
Hi Vincenzo, thanks for sharing this, but please don't use the proposal tool just to make a comment. It's confusing for other group members. Also, please try to add your comments to a thread where they're on-topic or start a new one. I have moved your 'comment' to a thread where it's more on-topic.