Decision-Making Beyond the Representative Board
In and around the time of the Open Source Open Society conference in Te Whanganui-a-Tara, there were some informal discussions among a number of NZ Pirates, some of them Board members. We floated the idea of dissolving the Board, replacing it with a) a cluster of formal Working Groups, and b) using Loomio to make all party decisions. The original discussion document written by Ben is here:
The working groups provide each Officer (eg Treasurer, Secretary, Communications) with a pool of deputies, who can share the work of that office, and keep the Officer accountable. This has the advantage of avoiding single-points-of-failure, as all work by that Officer and the Working Group will be well documented automatically as the discussions occur, and in the event of Officers going AWOL, another member of the Working Group can be delegated to take over as Acting Officer until a new permanent Officer can be elected.
This discussion is now focused on defining more precisely how this new Board-less/ networked structure will work, through a collaborative document exploring the various practicalities and concerns:
Once we find substantial agreement on the nuts and bolts, we can cut this discussion document down to the essentials, and refine it into our new party constitution.
Ben Vidulich started a proposal Fri 24 Jul 2015
We meet on Tuesdays at 8 PM to work on the details of our new party structure Closed Mon 27 Jul 2015
Meeting on Tuesdays at 8 PM seems to work for a majority of respondents. It is important that they we keep track of and share the progress we make with these meetings so that those who cannot attend remain informed.
Repeat: every week for the next 6 weeks (approx.)
By agreeing to this proposal you are indicating that the chosen day/time suits you. Attendance is optional, so agreeing doesn't mean you have to attend.
|Agree - 4|
|Abstain - 4|
|Disagree - 4|
|Block - 4|
Mon 27 Jul 2015
Not particularly free during this era of my life, though always keen to catch up on updates when I get round to checking my emails.
Danyl Strype started a proposal Tue 4 Aug 2015
Create or Modify Subgroups to Create Core Working Groups Closed Mon 10 Aug 2015
Agreement on using this schema to tidy up our Loomio group, while we continue to iterate towards a new constitution.
I propose that we create or modify subgroups of this Loomio group, to create our core Working Groups, as follows:
* Hospitality: new subgroup for moderation according to CofC, "How We Use Loomio" discussion to be moved there.
* Records: new subgroup for archival of discussions which are unlikely to continue, but which may be referred to for historical purposes
* Secrets: currently existing ‘Membership Rules’ subgroup to be renamed, for secretarial and membership matters
* Treasury: 'Executive’ or 'PPNZ Board'subgroup to be renamed for finances and fundraising. Some of the discussions in either of these may be more relevant to the 'Engine Room’:
* Policy Incubator: currently existing subgroup 'Policy Group' to be renamed for discussion and drafting of policy
* Communications: subgroup already exists for internal and public-facing comms
* Engine Room: subgroup already exists for digital infostructure, platforms, tech support
|Agree - 1|
|Abstain - 1|
|Disagree - 1|
|Block - 1|
Wed 5 Aug 2015
This proposal is too concrete given that many aspects of it are still currently disputed.
This proposal prematurely sets us up for the 'subcommittees without a committee' model ignoring the 'Permanent Membership Assembly' model, without discussion.
Wed 5 Aug 2015
There are 6 administrative WGs proposed that provide services to the party.
There is only 1 WG proposed for policy building which is the purpose of the party.
This is vastly disproportional.
The purpose of the root group is unclear.
Sun 9 Aug 2015
As a tidy-up without any indication of a future constitutional structure, this is fine and an improvement.
But I am worried that this task doubles the workload and distracts us from the constitutional work at hand.