UPDATING OUR VALUES : PROPOSAL AND NEXT STEPS
Sorry this has taken us a (really) long time, but better late than never! You can check here the original post about this project
The values workshop in Lisbon at last summit was really great, with a lot of convergence with data from the survey. If you missed it or want to go deeper in the content, you can read
- The ppt presentation here
- Quantitative analysis of the survey
- A more qualitative (and personal) analysis here
We now want to share three key things with you
- Our key takeways from survey & workshop
- Our proposal for a new list of values
- Our vision of the next steps
- There is still a tension between two functions of values: (1) describing how we actually do things (representational), and (2) setting an aspiration for how we would like to do things (aspirational). This tension doesn’t necessary need to be resolved, but has been important to acknowledge.
- Permanent Beta is super important. It is almost a supra-value (it’s now become the new ‘tagline’)
- There are currently too many values, -- with overlaps or confusion between various values -- with some values provoking more contestation and debates than others, or more linked to the notion of vision / mission of OuiShare, such as “Impact”
- Some important values are missing
New list of OuiShare values
Combining our analysis of the survey and workshop, we have a proposal for a new list of values. If you want to refresh your memory on what the current list and descriptions are, see here
- Our learnings from our work : a strong consent around this value and a lot of comments on how experimentation, feedback, continuous learning are important in Ouishare culture / for ouishare people.
- Draft for a description : OuiShare is an ongoing experiment. With curiosity and an open mindset, we strive to continuously try new things and challenge our assumptions. We believe in learning by doing and improving through reflexivity and iteration.
* In lack of a better word, anyone else has a better suggestion?
- Our learnings from our work : this notion of getting things done and not asking permission to start something is really strong in our culture (we often put forward "do-ocraty"). So in our view it also includes the notion of independence when we take it at the individual levels. The notion of OuiShare being an independant organization regarding businesses doesn't really fall in the value part in our opinion. It may reflect in the openness part.
- Draft for a description : Change starts from people. We believe that actions speak louder than words; so at OuiShare actions and initiative are respected and rewarded. We encourage people to get involved, start projects and take responsibility. While we love working together, we all value our own autonomy. [ we may want to add something about “walk the talk”
- Our learnings from our work : We found a big overlap in people's mind between these 3 values : Openness, transparency, and inclusion (which was rather seen as diversity). In our opinion Openness reflects the best how we do or try to do.
- Draft for a description : We believe in the power of openness; towards people, among ourselves and with our content and learnings. We welcome those who want to join us, valuing diversity in approaches, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in open decision making. We strive for open communication so that everyone can learn who we are, and why, how and what we do. We produce in open source and share our learnings widely.
- Our learnings from our work : This is one of the "new" value, in the meaning that it wasn't expressed formally even if it was precedently enclosed in our mission (collaborative society...). It's quite present in the comments in the survey (learning together / community / etc..).
- Draft for a description : Together we go further. It’s that simple.
- Our learnings from our work : This is the value that was most proposed at a new one. We have the feeling that MPRL is one way of doing it (taking care of our relationships), and that play is also part of it (we take care of ourselves by working on things we enjoy, in a way we like / have fun)
- Draft for a description : We have learnt the importance of care, mutual support and solidarity. We always strive to remember to take care of ourselves, of each other, of the commons we are building, and of the planet. We believe these dimensions are intrinsically linked and dependent on each other.
_ Why we took out “Impact” ? _
_Impact raised a lot of debates in the survey. It’s more related to why we do things than to how, because it’s not something we measure. It raised the question on what is Ouishare vision and mission today. Anyone willing to take on this project? :-) _
Step 1 : Validation
This is only a starting point, so we open up discussion here this summer for:
- Do these 5 values reflect what OuiShare is and aims to be?
- Are the descriptions clear and complete in your mind ?
We’re waiting for your meaningful comments in this loomio post if general, and in this document when you have suggestions on the wording itself : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dV5l0Jbm4jrDNVbrCWptYzm3r0DpKTtgk8JG82w6nSY/edit?usp=sharing
Tell us if you feel something important for OuiShare is missing (if you think you or OuiShare “cannot live without it”), or something is detrimental to OuiShare. The right wording may be then found by “communication” people ?
Before next summit it would be great to validate this adjusted list, after having taken into account your reactions and objections.
Step 2 : Communication
Once there is a consent on the values list, we will need to update our different communication documents / channels. Are there volunteers to work on that ? The descriptions are just small ideas for what these could be - we are not comms experts to we’d really like it if others could finalise those :)
Step 3 : Implementation
In our plans, the work didn’t stop with setting a new list of values, but should be followed by regional workshops where communities could have in depth discussions on how these values are or can be embodied in concrete practices. We could then make a book of best practices based on these discussions and suggestions.
How do you feel about it ? If any coordination is needed about it, for the moment neither Elena or Maud can commit to this work. Maud may be back in November to work with you on it, if needed :-)
The "value project team" (Elena, Maud + Joachim)
Poll Created Wed 9 Aug 2017
Updating our values Closed Sun 10 Sep 2017
I have read the proposal on the new set of OuiShare Value and shared my reaction and comments
|Results||Option||% of voters||Voters|
||Yes||13%||30||DL DF MF MP DU|
||Undecided||87%||200||ADG JL ML ASB MC G P AM N N N K JS MR CV DU VC ST DU FK LB DU YC Y JV F MC AR EZ C GC MG SGF JSB MK AP TPD FL DN AK DU FV DU MS CT GG C CB DU|
30 of 230 people have voted (13%)
Poll Created Thu 21 Sep 2017
Validating the new values set of OuiShare Closed Sun 1 Oct 2017
Thanks all for your reactions and valuable inputs.
The updated set of values of OuiShare has been validated : Permanent Beta, Do-ocracy, Openness, Collaboration & Care are how we want to do things. Being playful and meeting people in real life will be present in the descriptions.
Next steps :
update the handbook : Maud / in the coming weeks
update the website : (and certainly do some rewording of the descriptions) --> will take place in the website project presented by Hélène V, beginning of 2018
documenting the process : Maud + team, before end of the year
regional workshops on how we live and work accordingly to our values / from values to practices --> whenever you want, Maud will be happy to help design and coordinate those workshops, if we have local volunteers to organise those workshops.
Taking into accounts the different feedbacks here is the adjusted proposal (please see my last comment for more details). The wording may evolve lightly when a communication team will work on it.
Permanent Beta : Always a work in progress. Learn by doing, improve by reflecting and iterating. +Give feedback and keep playing. Do-ocracy : Don't wait to Do good. Celebrate autonomy and initiative-taking. Actions speak louder than words. + finding way to "tone down" this autonomy to have a glimpse of interdependence from the network? Openness : Open-minded: Open to new ideas. Inclusiveness: Open to diverse people with diverse perspectives. Transparency: Open access to inner workings. (& add decision making ?) OpenSource: We share. Collaboration : Together we go further. (and add something like “it’s even stronger when we MPRL”) Care : Care for each other, care for the commons, care for the planet. Three legs of a single stool + Take care of your own journey
|Results||Option||% of points||Voters|
|Undecided||0%||209||ADG JL ML ASB MC G P AM N N N K JS MR DF MF CV DU VC ST DU FK LB DU YC Y JV F MC AR EZ C GC MG SGF JSB MK AP DU TPD FL DN AK DU FV DU DU MS CT GG C CB CL C D DU|
35 of 244 people have voted (14%)
Thu 28 Sep 2017
Thanks for the work :)
However, I don't really agree that there's much of inclusiveness within OuiShare. I would suggest DIVERSITY (the fact of many different types of things or people being included in something).