UX: Adding people to a group
The most pressing UX problem we've discovered from our user testing over the past couple weeks is the process for adding people to your group.
To my mind, this is split into two parts:
- the group settings for access/permissions/privacy are confusing and restrictive;
- and, the invitation form is overly ambitious and under designed, so the end result is a confusing form that we've watched multiple users fail to navigate.
The devs are well underway on a much improved group settings form, which will be live in the next few days. This includes a change which will mean new groups will start with "Anyone can ask to join" enabled by default - one component of making groups easier to access.
Simplifying the invitation form
There are lots of jobs we want to do with this form. In order of priority:
- (must have) user types email address, presses enter or clicks submit, invitation is sent
- (must have) it's easy to bring in multiple people
- (nice to have) it's easy to select people without knowing their email address, e.g. by providing a list of Loomio users that share a group with you, or by integrating with your email address book
- (nice to have) add a custom message to explain why people should join the group
Right now, we're focussed on fixing the very pressing UX problem of the first 2 bullet points, and building up from there.
Update: I shared one design, got some feedback, and have now updated a second design here:
I had a look at how Slack handles invitations...
...then went through a few loops and got to this iteration of the invite people form:
...which lets you add a custom message:
And if you are inviting someone to a subgroup:
...you just click to add parent members:
Additionally, we're exploring the idea of adding a "team sharing link", which will work like Google Doc's "anyone with link" setting:
(That is a question we'll look at more deeply in the next week or two though.)
We're planning to build it and run a couple of user tests ASAP.
I'm keen to hear how you respond to these mockups before we build anything - does it look to you like an improvement on the current form?
Jochen Walter started a proposal Fri 13 Nov 2015
Do You want to invite people by mail sent by Loomio? Closed Tue 17 Nov 2015
Therefore You must know their mail addresses and type them - one or more - into a form.
After this proposal:
1. Do You want to add people without having a choice for the invited?
2. Do You want to invite people by your own mail with a link and the description of what Loomio is for and the description of the group, even for private groups?
|Agree - 2|
|Abstain - 1|
|Disagree - 0|
|Block - 0|