Loomio
Thu 6 Dec 2018

Fund Jaq Buchanan to visit The HHP's mini-conference

JP
Jeff Powell Public Seen by 243

Hi,

please see the proposal (under "Decisions") for full information

I am asking for the community to vote on the use of e-NABLE funds to support bringing Jaq Buchanan, creator of the Kwawu arm and a dedicated e-NABLEr, to The Helping Hand Project's mini-conference. This will help to connect aspects of the e-NABLE community, help The HHP's 100+ volunteers to learn from a dedicated e-NABLEr, and motivate the group to be more active within the greater, e-NABLE ecosystem, and not just in North Carolina.

JP

Jeff Powell started a proposal Thu 6 Dec 2018

Fund Jaq Buchanan to visit The HHP's mini-conference Closed Sat 22 Dec 2018

Outcome
by Jeff Powell Sun 23 Dec 2018

Thanks for all who voted and held us to discuss this proposal.

I am busy with my future in-laws right now for the holidays but will post a lengthier update soon.

Description of Proposed Project:

I am asking for the community to vote on the use of e-NABLE funds to support bringing Jaq Buchanan to The Helping Hand Project's (The HHP) mini-conference.

Jaq is the creator of the Kwawu arm, an elegant, robust design creator to suit the needs of adults with limb differences. He is willing to present at the event and participate in the discussions and networking that is planned. We would be happy to film his presentation so it may be shared with the online community.

The mini-conference is event in Chapel Hill, NC that brings together the different HHP chapters. We would be happy to include other e-NABLERs - please send me a message or comment below so we can plan accordingly. We hope to turn this in to a larger event in the future (more of a true conference) as appropriate and without taking away from existing e-NABLE conferences.

Please read the history session to learn about The HHP and the 50+ children with limb differences we have supported!

Expected results/impact:

Broadly, this will help to connect members of the e-NABLE community. We believe Jaq's attendance will have a ripple affect that goes beyond this event.

By meeting with Jaq, the HHP's 100+ volunteers to learn from a dedicated e-NABLEr. We hope this will motivate the group to be more active within the greater, e-NABLE ecosystem, and not just in North Carolina.

In return, this is an opportunity for Jaq to learn about the community aspects that The HHP has implemented, which he is interested in. This also is a good opportunity for Jaq to get some feedback on questions he has about his Kwawu arm design.

Our group - which mostly includes student engineers - also has a lot to learn about design from Jaq. We have struggled to meet our full potential with custom designs (we have a lot of kids in our network with unique anatomy that requires a custom design) and we think that Jaq will help shed some light on solutions.

We will film Jaq's presentation and share with the online community.

Estimate of work effort involved:

Jaq will have to put in the time to travel. Our group has arranged the min-conference, will accommodate Jaq, and will help make sure that his time outside of the mini-conference is helpful and enjoyable.

Estimated timeline for completion:

The main meeting is Saturday, January 19th from 12-3:30.
We encourage smaller meetings to spill over past that time through dinner, as we will with Jaq.

Names of individuals responsible for deliverables:

Jeff Powell
Jaq Buchanan

Amount of funding being requested:

$590*
- $150 for flight (Denver to RDU)
- $300 for hotel
- $40 for local travel
- $100 for meals
* I have made conservative estimates as to not under-budget. We can front the costs and submit a refund to the e-NABLE fund once the trip has been completed.

A brief overview of my background with e-NABLE:

The Helping Hand Project (The HHP) is a group that I, along with others at UNC Chapel Hill, started in 2014. Our mission is to support children with limb differences - working within the e-NABLE ecosystem - with a focus on personalization and limb-difference community development. We have delivered devices to over 35 children (with more happening this holiday season) and, through our community events and support network, support over 50 children and their families. We have students chapters at UNC, UNC-Charlotte, NCSU, and Durham Tech. I volunteer as the president of the 501(c)3 non-profit which supports the student chapters and provides non-students with an avenue to be involved.

I met Jaq when I attended the Maryland e-NABLE conference in 2017. I have already spoken with Jack to arrange his attendance at our conference.

We had another e-NABLEr, Chad Coarsey, visit in the past. We found him to be very helpful and want to continue connecting our group with active e-NABLErs.

Please let me know if you have any questions! We would love to have other eNABLErs in the are attend or to work with eNABLErs on design projects.

Agree - 17
Abstain - 4
Disagree - 4
Block - 0
25 people have voted (19%)
JS

Jon Schull
Agree
Thu 6 Dec 2018

This group is a terrific network doing great work. I'm eager to support them, learn from them, see them emerging as leaders.

JO

Jen Owen
Agree
Thu 6 Dec 2018

Yes!!! This is a fabulous opportunity for growth and learning!

E

ebubar
Agree
Fri 7 Dec 2018

WM

Wayne Munslow
Agree
Fri 7 Dec 2018

JS

Jack Sutcliffe
Agree
Fri 7 Dec 2018

BR

Bob Rieger
Agree
Fri 7 Dec 2018

RB

Rich B
Agree
Sat 8 Dec 2018

It appears by the record that this group represents e-NABLE properly and deserves support in their goals.

SM

Skip Meetze
Agree
Mon 10 Dec 2018

TO

Thierry Oquidam
Disagree
Mon 10 Dec 2018

I don't think the funding should be used for the sole benefit of a single chapter, this should be funded through a local crowdfunding. Otherwise it is too unfair to rest-of-the-world chapters.
Or we admit that this is a purely US grant program and I'm out of it.

LG

Leland Green
Agree
Mon 10 Dec 2018

The plan to film and post it (all?) and post online is excellent. That should benefit all chapters.

I hope that there may be more than "a video", for a trip of that length and a visitor of such high quality. :slight_smile: (Could you just film the entire stay??😊 And then edit out later?)

@thierryoquidam , an idea is for you to make a similar proposal for your local chapter. (If videos are part of it, I will be sure to vote for it.)

🖖😎

P

Patrick
Abstain
Mon 10 Dec 2018

Jaq/Jack/Jeff (I hope to address the correct name), I "agree", but I do have a question %-wise. As to keep a cap or budget on these events due to the likelihood they scale and cost increase? Such that "$500 or %75" may be allocated as to allow groups to learn "multi-source" funding as you see in schools (Grants, Loans, & Scholarships). Just to set a standard for future events. I do support this, I thank Jaq/Jack for his contributions!

JP

Jeff Powell
Abstain
Mon 10 Dec 2018

Although I certainly approve, I'm abstaining from the formal vote since I am the one who made the proposal.

IL

Ian Lewis
Disagree
Tue 11 Dec 2018

SD

Sandra Dermisek
Disagree
Tue 11 Dec 2018

I really love the work you did on the kwawu arm, but I agree with Thierry. I don't think the funding should be used for things like this.

JS

Jeremy Simon
Agree
Tue 11 Dec 2018

ESL

Enable Sierra Leone
Agree
Wed 12 Dec 2018

JO

Jen Owen
Disagree
Sun 16 Dec 2018

After re-reading this - I am going to disagre and ask that you consider doing a crowd funding campaign for this. I think that the funding could be easily raised by asking family and friends and other students to each pitch in a few bucks to raise the money for the tickets and such. I'd like to see a crowd funding campaign done first and then come back to see if you still need a boost to get him there.

If you have 100 volunteers at Helping hands and each one donates $5.90 you have it funded. :)

CL

Chang Liu
Agree
Mon 17 Dec 2018

JB

Jason Bender
Abstain
Wed 19 Dec 2018

Certainly love what Jack is doing for the community and dont disagree w/ this particular instance, but I worry w/o setting some policies around this type of use of funds it could snowball in future in a way not so beneficial to entire org. Will abstain on this premise.

S

Shashi
Disagree
Wed 19 Dec 2018

Agree with Thierry here. I don't favor travel expenses for conferences unless there is a clear benefit to the wider community. Recording video is a step in the right direction, but in my experience, there's limited value there. I'd change my vote if you would commit to deliverables that benefit the wider community. For example, work with Jaq to document the Kwawu arm, making it easier for others to print/adopt. Iterate Kwawu based on a 2-way exchange of ideas and release that. Lots of options.

BM

Barry Maxwell
Abstain
Wed 19 Dec 2018

EP

eNable Polska
Agree
Thu 20 Dec 2018

YM

Yoav Medan
Agree
Thu 20 Dec 2018

JK

Jordan Kamer
Agree
Thu 20 Dec 2018

My students, my district and I got involved in e-NABLE via watching YouTube videos about what e-NABLE does. I would not underestimate the impact of recording and publishing this event. I teach technology in the New York City Department of Education. To date, I have reached out to educators and students throughout the city sharing our message and getting people involved. You definitely have my vote!

S

Shashi
Agree
Sat 22 Dec 2018

Agree with Thierry here. I don't favor travel expenses for conferences unless there is a clear benefit to the wider community.

Changing my vote to agree based on specific commits Jeff and Jaq made to documenting the Kwawu arm assembly process and improvements in the discussion.

DZ

Donna Zimmerman
Agree
Sat 22 Dec 2018

FP

Fricis Pirtnieks
Agree
Sat 22 Dec 2018

JP

Jeff Powell Thu 6 Dec 2018

Please visit the decision to read about this funding request and cast your vote.
I will abstain from voting as I am the one making the proposal.
Please comment below if you have questions, I am happy to discuss.

JP

Jeff Powell Thu 6 Dec 2018

If you'd like a glimpse at our support events, check out this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DW-I-tXJ3o

If you'd like to hear more from me directly, check out this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRDAGeE715M

JB

Jacquin Buchanan Thu 6 Dec 2018

I am excited to meet with the Helping Hands Project. I think there are lots of design concepts and processes I can share with them. And, I could learn and share how well they do long term support with their recipients. They have been able to build a strong community among their recipients, which gives emotional and technical support in a way that is wonderful.

JP

Jeff Powell Mon 10 Dec 2018

@theo27 I understand the argument about the funding going towards a single chapter and wanted to bring up some points for you.

The Helping Hand Project is both one group and four chapters - across four different Universities in North Carolina. So they benefit here may be more spread out than it seems.

Also, we are hoping to this is a way to help motivate the chapters to be better involved in the greater open-source realm. So it will hopefully have ripple effects that go beyond those involved in the event. It will hopefully also be of benefit to Jaq who is involved within aspects of eNABLE that go beyond our group.

For your comment about it being a US grant program - I don't know enough to speak to that. If you think there is an issue I would advise putting together some numbers and facts to support your argument as best you can. I think everyone here has good intentions and is not trying to be unfair to anyone, any area, or any group.

JP

Jeff Powell Mon 10 Dec 2018

@danceupon understood! I'm not aware of what the total amount in the fund is, nor what examples of similar trips have occurred. We're happy to fit in similarly to other efforts. I do believe this is worth the cost, is within the mission of eNABLE, and ultimately benefits the limb-difference community.

JS

Jon Schull Mon 10 Dec 2018

@thierryoquidam I agree that programs that benefit single chapters are inappropriate. I don't think this is that, however for reasons Jeff is addressing. So I support this.

And I don't think this has anything to do with US vs outside US. We've supported a few non-US proposals already (the Nigeria mission comes to mind)

I would love to see similar proposals from outside the US too that tie chapters and projects together and help them compare notes. I'd support them too.

IL

Ian Lewis Tue 11 Dec 2018

To be honest, I'm with Thierry on this. I went to represent e-NABLE at the REACH event in Bristol this year. With hotel, fuel and food it worked out about £450 which came out of my own pocket. My facebook page encourages donations and most people, when approaching me mention cost, and I tell them that we'd appreciate donations, but 1 in 5 seem to follow through with it. I understand that it's my choice and I decide to do these things, but I never even thought to ask a-NABLE for money as I expect it to go to more centralised expenditure that benefit chapters globally.

JP

Jeff Powell Wed 19 Dec 2018

Hi Ian. Thanks for your comments. I'm glad that you're involved.

My opinion is that we should not limit approvals to those who have a global reach. I think that is too restrictive and it overlooks the impact that is made at a local level, which complements the global efforts.

LG

Leland Green Tue 11 Dec 2018

Please note that it was not Jacquin who initiated this request, rather it was Jeff Powell from the HHP. Based on recent comments, it seems that some seem to believe it was Jacquin requesting this "for himself".

Again, it was HHP who started the idea.

I don't know if that makes a difference to anyone, but I just wanted to point this out.

JP

Jeff Powell Tue 11 Dec 2018

This is correct, thank you @lelandgreen. We are putting on the event and are seeking a way to tie in more of the greater e-NABLE community, which is why we are seeking to bring in Jaq. Also my understanding is that the amount asked is only a small fraction of the total e-NABLE fund and should not interfere with other requests, but please correct me if I am wrong.

The purpose of this is not to just bring in someone who helps our chapters, but to help reinforce the idea within our multiple chapters that they should work with the larger e-NABLE community. We serve around 45 families total, through devices and support events, all on volunteer time, so it can be easy for us to put our heads down and focus on the work in front of us. Getting Jaq in person will do a lot to help keep e-NABLE on our minds, with the goal of improving the services we provide for our families as well as helping others do the same.

@sandradermisek tagging you here just to make sure you are aware.

I'm happy to discuss further if anyone would like.

JS

Jon Schull Tue 11 Dec 2018

Good discussion! Fair points on all sides.
I think the question in each case is whether
investment will benefit E-NABLE's mision. So the community judges, one well-considered vote at a time..

SD

Sandra Dermisek Wed 12 Dec 2018

@lelandgreen, I was aware and still have the same opinion.

P

Patrick Tue 18 Dec 2018

How does the "helping hands" or other initiatives work in this model? Would love to help with some alternative funding if not passed.

JP

Jeff Powell Wed 19 Dec 2018

Hey Patrick. So in short (as I understand it!) eNable is a large ecosystem of individuals, groups, students, non-profits, and more which work together under a name but not as a technical / legal entity.

The HHP is a 501c3 non-profit and four student chapters in North Carolina. Our mission within enable is to support children with limb differences - mostly local but we've helped those who've reached out to us from as far as South Korea. The chapters all work together with complimentary roles. The non-profit leads the overall mission, provides non-students and avenue to volunteer and raises money to support the chapters missions (building devices, hosting community events like in the video I posted).

We are, in essence, local effectors of eNable in NC. I have been to enable conferences and had varying levels of activity with the online community, but I think it is an area where the group can improve. This is an effort to make the online-community a higher priority with the chapters and hopefully stimulate some collaboration with, contribution to, and education from the online-community.

I hope that's clear enough.

P

Patrick Thu 20 Dec 2018

Is he planning to present anything? Will there be a workshop? Is there alternative means of funding such as kickstarter under "workshop" but charged as a free workshop as to allow as service to exist and a tangible item would be what helpinghands can help facilitate materials wise? Bus too? They have WIFI and go everywhere. I would throw down on a kickstarter or gofundme for the exact thing.

DZ

Donna Zimmerman Tue 18 Dec 2018

Perhaps this sort of thing could be funded if there are set deliverables included in the proposal- what portion of the conference will be video recorded, where will it be posted, is there a back up if video fails, etc. Then we could judge on the value to the community as a whole.

JP

Jeff Powell Wed 19 Dec 2018

Thanks Donna. I'm going to speak with Jack and try to update the proposal.

JS

Jon Schull Tue 18 Dec 2018

@jenowen you said you were going to abstain, but your vote is Disagree.

S

Shashi Wed 19 Dec 2018

@jeffpowell I generally agree with Thierry about the use of funds for conference travel. I'd like to see a clearer benefit to the wider community. In my experience, just a few people end up benefitting from video recordings. Would you commit to something with clearer impact? I listed a few ideas in my vote, such as committing to documenting the Kwawu arm (and publishing the docs) or iterating the design to solve specific problems (and publishing the design). Other examples could include making instructional videos, doing performance testing, etc. You seem like a creative and resourceful person. I'm sure you'll come up with something. My vote can change if the impact is clearer. I'm happy to discuss and will be monitoring this thread.

JP

Jeff Powell Wed 19 Dec 2018

Thanks Shashi. Jack sent me an email and we're going to connect to discuss options for deliverables.

JP

Jeff Powell Wed 19 Dec 2018

@shashi thanks for your input.
In terms of "benefit to the wider community" I can agree with approvals requiring some breadth. I would argue that this proposal has enough. Our group is essentially an entire state, this helps to better connect us with the larger enable community, and provides a dedicated enabler with some benefit. All of these can have ripple effects beyond who is directly involved. Most importantly, the approx 45 kids and families we serve.
I think it would be too limited to require that approvals have to have international breadth or potential for "the entire community" because there are few projects that have the opportunity to do so. Also, I strongly believe that those with a focus online groups and those with a local focus are both necessary components to eNable.

The kwawu arm and kwawu 2.0 are online and open-source. Jack does a great job of updating. We would be happy to work with Jack to produce a further update from our meeting. We have had some struggles with the Kwawu arm and already plan to go over these in person with Jack for mutually beneficial conversation.

Thanks for the ideas!

JK

Jordan Kamer Thu 20 Dec 2018

My students, my district and I got involved in e-NABLE via watching YouTube videos about what e-NABLE does. I would not underestimate the impact of recording and publishing this event. I teach technology in the New York City Department of Education. To date, I have reached out to educators and students throughout the city sharing our message and getting people involved. You definitely have my vote!

JP

Jeff Powell Wed 19 Dec 2018

@jenowen thanks for your comment!

It's not reasonable to ask it of the volunteers, but I think that's not considering the big picture. We have to ask a lot of each other and there are limits to the combination of money, time and emotion people can give. Volunteers gladly give a lot (as you, of all people, know/do). The help of this grant would be appreciated.

YM

Yoav Medan Thu 20 Dec 2018

Hi,
Sorry for being late to this intense discussion. In general, it is much easier approving a $18K gift than a $0.5K one....
I think that the community needs to come up with some guidelines per such "petty cash" funding requests so that it does not turn into a flood.
Personally, I would have felt more receptive if the benefitted chapters would have matched the contribution rather than ask for a full coverage.

P

Patrick Thu 20 Dec 2018

I love donations. I have a money box system. Be ready for donations AND one step ahead of the hacker!

LG

Leland Green Thu 20 Dec 2018

Hi Yoav,

I may detect a slight amount of misunderstanding, so I come swooping in! :nerd:

In the recent proposition, "Ratify Donor-targeted support for e-NABLE Sierra Leone", they are not asking for any money from the e-NABLE fund! Rather, are asking for permission for the Cleveland Foundation to donate $18K to "Enable Sierra Leone" (and those specific projects).

(Just in case that makes a difference....)

Best regards,
Leland...
Net Superhero/Nerd

JB

Jacquin Buchanan Thu 20 Dec 2018

I view this proposal as an offering by the Helping Hands Project to connect with the larger E-nable movement. They are already self-funding and supporting a conference of their own chapters. I am excited to support their desire to understand what is happening in the larger e-nable group, and share what I learn from them with the larger enable community. To me that is what this movement is all about, each person, group, chapter doing their best to help one person at a time, and sharing that experience with others so they can do the same. I feel like every approved proposal has been in essence this.
Perhaps Jeff should have written the proposal as a description of the larger conference the Helping Hands project is organizing with a total cost, and presented this proposal as small portion of the funding to connect e-nable with the Helping Hands Project. I am ok with him pulling out my travel expenses to be an example of this connection with e-nable. In hindsight maybe he should have pulled out a different expense to show the support/conenction to his group by the larger e-nable movement.
It is certainly true that I will learn as much from this group as they will from me. That learning will certainly flow back into improvements in my design efforts. To better codify that idea, we can film the planned workshop to review/improve the kwawu design. The film will be a benefit to anyone else considering the kwawu design. It should help them determine if it is a good fit for their recipient and what it takes to build and assemble one along with various tips and tricks.

S

Shashi Thu 20 Dec 2018

Thanks for the clarification @jacquinbuchanan . Assembly film would be fantastic. Would you edit/add that film to the Thingiverse entry for Kwawu to maximize exposure? I feel most video from conferences goes unviewed w/o the right placement and exposure. Another thought would be to create an assembly mat that will help others adopt the hand/arm. Example here: http://shashijain.co/e-nable-osprey-hand-assembly-mat/

JB

Jacquin Buchanan Thu 20 Dec 2018

Sure, I would put the video in the thinigverse post, just like the demo video there now.

JP

Jeff Powell Sat 22 Dec 2018

@shashi I can also ask the volunteers in our group who work on the Kwawu are to write up their expereince / challenges with assembly to post online in an attempt to help other volunteers learn from their “mistakes”, for lack of a better work.

S

Shashi Sat 22 Dec 2018

Thanks. Between your and Jaq’s specific commits to documentation I am changing my vote.