Loomio
Tue 21 Nov 2017

EGU meetup

B
brandon Public Seen by 474

Who is planning to attend EGU? We should probably refrain from polluting the AGU thread any further, and discuss meetings, presentations, booths, etc. for EGU here.

HG

Han Geurdes Tue 21 Nov 2017

I am not going to attend anything this year.

DN

Daniel Nüst Tue 21 Nov 2017

I am going to attend.

SG

Stéphanie Girardclos Wed 22 Nov 2017

I'm not going this year

DU

[deactivated account] Thu 23 Nov 2017

I hope to go! I think its relatively easy to organize a "splinter meeting" to get a room. Don't know if we have the capacity to actually run a booth to advertise.

DN

Daniel Nüst Thu 23 Nov 2017

A booth... a haven't even dared to think about that. Depending of the interest by Copernicus and potential collaboration they might actually accommodate us, but the big question is if we would have the personpower to run it.

B

brandon Thu 23 Nov 2017

@danielnust I don't know if a booth is the way to go, just throwing out options. I'm keen for a low-fi approach. We could just throw stickers at people. :)

B

brandon Thu 23 Nov 2017

Actually, if there were a way to make sure everyone gets an EarthArXiv sticker when they check-in that would be pretty cool. Might be a tad spendy though :)

DU

[deactivated account] Thu 23 Nov 2017

I think stickers for everyone is a bit of waste of resources.

VV

Victor Venema Fri 24 Nov 2017

Stickers are more for the coders. Never see so much stickers as at the FORCE conference in Berlin. For the EGU participants a flyer might be an option. Would it cost something for EGU to put a flyer in the conference bag or a page in the book of abstracts?

DU

[deactivated account] Mon 27 Nov 2017

Actually EGU has tried to reduce the amount of giveaways, so there is no conference bag. Not many people requested the book of abstracts, as most people would use the app to organize themselves.

VV

Victor Venema Mon 27 Nov 2017

Didn't we have contact with EGU? Or Copernicus about putting their Open Review Discussion papers on EarthArXv? We could ask them about the options at EGU.

A display booth would cost 1250€, including two registrations worth 2*390€. So effectively 470€. That is a lot. https://egu2018.eu/exhibition/booking_and_prices.html

There should be an option somehow to spread flyers. When I am at a conference that is something I often look for, often interesting information about what is going on.

CJ

Christopher Jackson Tue 28 Nov 2017

Discussions with EGU already ongoing, around Discussion papers, assembly attendance, and several other things. I will push for financial support for a booth. Indeed, flyers, stickers, etc, if we get small amounts of funding may be useful.

FR

Felix Riede Thu 30 Nov 2017

Just to say: I'll be there.

CJ

Christopher Jackson Fri 1 Dec 2017

RE: Victor's comment on booth costs, this is one thing I'll speak to Jonathan Bamber, EGU President about; i.e. can we please have a free booth...

DN

Daniel Nüst Fri 5 Jan 2018

@christopherjackson3 and @tomnarock1 organise a townhall meeting: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2018/session/29063

CJ

Christopher Jackson Sat 6 Jan 2018

Yes we have!
And it’ll be great to have as many folk attend as possible; we’ll be sharing the stage with AGU, who’ll be supporting/promoting ESSOAr. In any case, it’ll be great to meet up for sausage, bread, and/or beer in Vienna...!

Professor Christopher A-L Jackson
Statoil Professor of Basin Analysis
Basins Research Group (BRG)
Department of Earth Science & Engineering
Imperial College
LONDON
SW7 2BP

UK

Co-founder of EarthArXiv (🌎), a preprint server for the Earth Sciences (www.eartharxiv.org ( http://www.eartharxiv.org ))

D

David Mon 5 Feb 2018

I got to know recently that black box funds can be expended for me to go to EGU :)
I'll happily help with anything there, booth et al.

CJ

Christopher Jackson Mon 5 Feb 2018

Awesome!

BC

Bruce Caron Mon 2 Apr 2018

Any EarthArXiv meet-ups in the works for the EGU? Any updates?

CJ

Christopher Jackson Mon 2 Apr 2018

Hi All! @bcaron beat me to the punch RE: EGU. Unfortunately, it now looks like I'll be unable to attend. I was supposed to be on family holiday this week, but that's had to move, at last minute due to some family-related issues, to next week. Hence I'll have to miss EGU. This is shit, as I've already paid for the registration and accommodation, and had set-up things with AGU for the ESSOAr/preprint discussion at the Town Hall meeting on Monday night. I'd also arranged a PICO in one of the sessions, as well as an informal presentation in the ECR lounge. Is anyone else attending and able to take on some of these tasks? I have stickers, flyers, and some updated FAQ materials. Please let me know ASAP. Thanks, Chris

DU

[deactivated account] Tue 3 Apr 2018

I would be happy to take over the PICO presentation on Friday. Would be even happier if someone could join me. Did you have time to prepare the PICO already?

D

David Tue 3 Apr 2018

I can partner up with Friedrich for this. I feel that we might need some guidelines to cover up all those activities...

CJ

Christopher Jackson Tue 3 Apr 2018

Thanks Both!

We have some slides that can be used, plus we should be able to provide updated user statistics.

Chris


Professor Christopher A-L. Jackson

Professor of Basin Analysis

Basins Research Group (BRG ( http://www.basinsresearchgroup.com/ ))

Department of Earth Science & Engineering

Imperial College

Prince Consort Road

LONDON

SW7 2BP

UK

Email: c.jackson@imperial.ac.uk ( c.jackson@imperial.ac.uk )

Web: www.imperial.ac.uk/c.jackson ( http://www.imperial.ac.uk/c.jackson )

Twitter:
@seis_matters ( https://mobile.twitter.com/seis_matters )


Co-founder of EarthArXiv ( https://eartharxiv.org/ ), a preprint server and postprint
archive for the Earth Sciences

DN

Daniel Nüst Wed 4 Apr 2018

I will attend the townhall, but not sure what I could take over in discussing with the organisations you mention, they look kind of "official". Happy to be briefed during the next days if you think that could work.

D

David Wed 4 Apr 2018

What I mean is what Daniel says... We need "mentoring" for fruitful outcomes in these events

CJ

Christopher Jackson Wed 4 Apr 2018

Hi All,

Happy to set-up a group Skype chat later this week.

In short, AGU (providers of ESSOAr) and use get to share the stage and jointing advocate for the use of preprints in the Earth Sciences. In essence, there will be no ‘competition’ to advertise our
service as better than theirs, and, in fact, I think it is more important for you to talk from your personal perspective as to why you think preprints might be beneficial. Stuff related to the OSF infrastructure, moderation approaches, etc, I can provide you
with via the FAQ slides, which are currently on the ‘Resources’ bit of the website, but which can updated with some new numbers, etc.

These general comments go to the PICO on the Friday too.

Chris


Professor Christopher Aiden-Lee Jackson

Basins Research Group (BRG ( http://www.basinsresearchgroup.com/ ))

Department of Earth Science & Engineering

Imperial College

Prince Consort Road

LONDON

SW7 2BP

UK

Email: c.jackson@imperial.ac.uk ( c.jackson@imperial.ac.uk )

Web: www.imperial.ac.uk/c.jackson ( http://www.imperial.ac.uk/c.jackson )

Twitter: @seis_matters


Co-founder of EarthArXiv ( https://eartharxiv.org/ ), a preprint server and postprint archive for the Earth Sciences

DU

[deactivated account] Wed 4 Apr 2018

I can model the existing slides into a PICO to make it more interactive.

CJ

Christopher Jackson Thu 5 Apr 2018

Hi Friedrich,

That would be great! Could you then bounce back to me for some tweaks, edits, etc, that might also be useful for the townhall on Monday?
I’m in touch with AGU to see what their plans are for that.

Chris


Professor Christopher A-L. Jackson

Professor of Basin Analysis

Basins Research Group (BRG ( http://www.basinsresearchgroup.com/ ))

Department of Earth Science & Engineering

Imperial College

Prince Consort Road

LONDON

SW7 2BP

UK

Email: c.jackson@imperial.ac.uk ( c.jackson@imperial.ac.uk )

Web: www.imperial.ac.uk/c.jackson ( http://www.imperial.ac.uk/c.jackson )

Twitter:
@seis_matters ( https://mobile.twitter.com/seis_matters )


Co-founder of EarthArXiv ( https://eartharxiv.org/ ), a preprint server and postprint
archive for the Earth Sciences

DU

[deactivated account] Fri 6 Apr 2018

This is how far I got with PICO, would be happy to get feedback. Also, I think we could add a bit more in the "Lets talk about"-section - any ideas? Best is to view the presentation in fullscreen and use the mouse for navigation (or your touchscreen of course).

CJ

Christopher Jackson Fri 6 Apr 2018

Thanks! Looking at it now!

Chris


Professor Christopher A-L. Jackson

Professor of Basin Analysis

Basins Research Group (BRG ( http://www.basinsresearchgroup.com/ ))

Department of Earth Science & Engineering

Imperial College

Prince Consort Road

LONDON

SW7 2BP

UK

Email: c.jackson@imperial.ac.uk ( c.jackson@imperial.ac.uk )

Web: www.imperial.ac.uk/c.jackson ( http://www.imperial.ac.uk/c.jackson )

Twitter:
@seis_matters ( https://mobile.twitter.com/seis_matters )


Co-founder of EarthArXiv ( https://eartharxiv.org/ ), a preprint server and postprint
archive for the Earth Sciences

SG

Stéphanie Girardclos Fri 6 Apr 2018

Thank you Friedrich (@friedrich1) ! I find it VERY nice. Bravo !

I think you could add 2 things but I let you decide where and how.

  1. preprint servers enable authors to DECIDE themselves exactly WHEN a msc is ready to be read by others. This is a form of re-empowerment of researchers. For me one if not the most fundamental point of preprint process. I always convinve my audience with this point. ;-)
  2. The fact the that open science is a non profit independent organisation is also very important. you could add this somewhere. (maybe in the questions ? or next to their logo ?)

Thanks for the nice work.
Stéphanie

CJ

Christopher Jackson Fri 6 Apr 2018

Hi All! Spoken to AGU/ESSOAr; they too are looking forward to the townhall. Courtesy of @friedrich1's efforts, we almost have some slides ready for the Townhall, the PICO, and, perhaps, a short presentation in the ECR lounge. @danielnust, @geoda, @friedrich1, and @brandon (if attending), would you be willing to jointly represent us at the Townhall? Likw I said, we have the material, and I'm happy to give you a call to talk through anything of concern. Please let me know. And if anyone is listening in who would like to present for 10 mins at the ECR lounge, please let me know! Thanks, Chris

CJ

Christopher Jackson Fri 6 Apr 2018

Hi Friedrich/All,

Please see attached an updated version of the slides. I haven’t really tampered with the ‘madness’ slides for the 2-minute PICO introduction, but
I have added quite a bit more material to the later sections, mainly anticipating the types of questions you might be asked. I have also added comments to many of the slides I have added, indicating why I added them. I hope this is clear.

Please let me know what you think. And if anyone wants some EarthArXiv stickers sending to them ahead of EGU, please let me know. I can pop them
in the post tomorrow morning, such that they can perhaps hit you in Vienna!

Chris


Professor Christopher Aiden-Lee Jackson

Basins Research Group (BRG ( http://www.basinsresearchgroup.com/ ))

Department of Earth Science & Engineering

Imperial College

Prince Consort Road

LONDON

SW7 2BP

UK

Email:
c.jackson@imperial.ac.uk ( c.jackson@imperial.ac.uk )

Web:
www.imperial.ac.uk/c.jackson ( http://www.imperial.ac.uk/c.jackson )

Twitter: @seis_matters


Co-founder of
EarthArXiv ( https://eartharxiv.org/ ), a preprint server and postprint archive for the Earth Sciences

DU

[deactivated account] Fri 6 Apr 2018

Thanks for working on the slides. I will see how we can model them for the townhall presentation then. So who will share the stage? Would be great to meet you then on monday at lunch, so we can get to know each other.

BC

Bruce Caron Sat 7 Apr 2018

Be great to see some EarthArXiv sticker/presentation photos from EGU... Tweet em!

CJ

Christopher Jackson Sat 7 Apr 2018

Hi Friedrich,

As I said at the start of this thread, I now won’t be attending EGU, hence my call to the broader EarthArXiv community to see who could take my place. Brooks Hanson, AGU’s publication director, will be there, maybe along with one other person from AGU.
So I’ll ask again if anyone is happy to join Friedrich on Monday evening for the townhall? It would be good to get a broader set of views.

Thanks,

Chris

Professor Christopher A-L Jackson
Professor of Basin Analysis
Basins Research Group (BRG)
Department of Earth Science & Engineering
Imperial College
LONDON
SW7 2BP

UK

Co-founder of EarthArXiv (🌎), a preprint server for the Earth Sciences (www.eartharxiv.org ( http://www.eartharxiv.org ))

D

David Sat 7 Apr 2018

@christopherjackson3 I'll be happy to help for the townhall and the PICO.
I'll a bit tight for me, as my talk is Tuesday very early morning and it's only half way there... For the arrangements on the presentation, few things:
- I don't know where you guys are changing the presentation, and I saw the PICO by Friedrich, but just because is posted here.
- I'd love to Skype-/Hangout-/TeamViewer-/YounameIt-meet. I think the best is to see how you do the presentation, and then comment on it. With that, I think it'll suffice
- I leave my place to catch the plane at 3pm tomorrow

@friedrich1 We can meet for lunch, though we know each other already (of course, I see your photo with your face, and you don't see mine, but I'm sure you remember me XD)
- Feedback on the PICO I know of (if agreed, I might add these changes):
Add in the Let`s talk about section more about the ''let' s get in touch'' part,
making emphasis on our twitter site
This is to increase the number of followers, and to show that EarthArXiv is a preprint server that is responsive and close to the users (the creators are users!)

Specific info we can add:
- xx folowers
- main followers coming from xx countries
- visibility of the preprint (examples here of how we post sth once a preprint is published, or how the users themselves do it
- engagement of the community (examples here of discussion and comments based on a post refering to a preprint).

DU

[deactivated account] Sat 7 Apr 2018

Okay, great! We can have call tomorrow maybe around 11?

CJ

Christopher Jackson Sat 7 Apr 2018

Thanks Both. How about we have a Skype chat tomorrow morning? Would that work? And I got this graph from @mattspitzer showing EarthArXiv's growth during our first few months; looking steady! Worth adding this in to the presentations, along with the good suggestions by @geoda. Chris

VV

Victor Venema Sat 7 Apr 2018

Interesting. If we show this figure, we will get a question on what caused the decrease in the number of manuscripts.

CJ

Christopher Jackson Sat 7 Apr 2018

Early adopters, eventually giving way to a more sustained (and sustainable) body of submitters/supporters?

VV

Victor Venema Sat 7 Apr 2018

I was referring the to decrease in the number of articles, not the growth rate. There is one day where the number drops by 1 or 2 manuscripts.

Is that a retraction? I thought we were still thinking about how we handle retractions and had not seen any option last time I uploaded.

CJ

Christopher Jackson Sat 7 Apr 2018

Not sure that’s a retraction. At least not that I’m aware of. We had a few issues with some copyright clashes, which meant I had to flag those during moderation.

VV

Victor Venema Sat 7 Apr 2018

That is likely it, given that we do post-moderation and the manuscript thus first appeared before it was flagged and was probably counted.

CJ

Christopher Jackson Sat 7 Apr 2018

Thanks victor. I’ll check with Matt. I can’t remember the exact day I flagged a few papers.

D

David Sat 7 Apr 2018

Skype at 11 am works fine by me - IM there --> geo.david.fernandez
Attached few slides on "community engagement" via Twitter

D

David Sat 7 Apr 2018

Also, on the PICO there is a typo that says EarthArXiv is online since 2018...

DU

[deactivated account] Sat 7 Apr 2018

Thanks for all the addition, @christopherjackson3 ! I already formatted the PICO again. Will also now be easy to remodel it for the townhall.
@sgirardclos thanks for the comments!
@geoda thanks for the addition, will be in the next iteration!

CJ

Christopher Jackson Sun 8 Apr 2018

Hi David/Friedrich,

I may struggle to do 1100 this morning as I’ll be in a car with three noisy kids!
Any chance we could do a 15 min chat at 1200 UK time? Failing that, I’m free all evening.

Chris

Professor Christopher A-L Jackson
Professor of Basin Analysis
Basins Research Group (BRG)
Department of Earth Science & Engineering
Imperial College
LONDON
SW7 2BP

UK

Co-founder of EarthArXiv (🌎), a preprint server for the Earth Sciences (www.eartharxiv.org ( http://www.eartharxiv.org ))

D

David Sun 8 Apr 2018

That's 1300 in CET - I'm ok with the swift

Friedrich, I'm in Skype already in case you want to discuss something :)

DU

[deactivated account] Sun 8 Apr 2018

Hi Chris.
No worries! I wont be available during the rest of the day, maybe David is. Otherwise we can also set something up tomorrow, but you can also just enjoy your holidays!
Let me just ask some questions:
It would be great to upload the PICO onto github - can somebody do that? Would be good to have it online on Monday, because thats what people will ask for.
Do I understand correctly, that ESSOAR only allows manuscripts which are not published yet? Our policy is, that you can upload your manuscript at any time, correct?

D

David Sun 8 Apr 2018

Hi Chris,
I’m on Skype. Will be available for a short meeting until 1430 CET.
At 1500 CET, I’ll leave to get my flight. I hope we can meet before :)
I am afraid I' won't be available this evening, as I am arriving at the hotel very late, around midnight.

CJ

Christopher Jackson Sun 8 Apr 2018

Hi,

Just got back to my home town. I’m available to talk tomorrow morning from around 0800 UK time. Happy to Skype!

RE: uploading the PICO to GitHub, Tom (Narock) can do this.

RE: ESSOAr’s position on hosted material, their FAQ contains this:

1)
Can I submit content to ESSOAr that I already submitted to a journal for publication?
- An article must be submitted to ESSOAr before it is published by a journal. An article that has been submitted to a journal but has not yet been published can still be submitted to ESSOAr

So, in this sense, they differ to us in that we host postprints whereas they do not.

Chris


Professor Christopher Aiden-Lee Jackson

Basins Research Group (BRG ( http://www.basinsresearchgroup.com/ ))

Department of Earth Science & Engineering

Imperial College

Prince Consort Road

LONDON

SW7 2BP

UK

Email: c.jackson@imperial.ac.uk ( c.jackson@imperial.ac.uk )

Web: www.imperial.ac.uk/c.jackson ( http://www.imperial.ac.uk/c.jackson )

Twitter: @seis_matters


Co-founder of EarthArXiv ( https://eartharxiv.org/ ), a preprint server and postprint archive for the Earth Sciences

D

David Mon 9 Apr 2018

Ok - see you there in 35 mins, then?