Create a UI task force
I'm seeing some UI proposals and discussions going on, and also, some new contributors (as myself) willing to dive deeply into UI stuff.
As a good user experience requires consistency, I think we could create a UI task force for the guys who are contributing with UI code (e.g.: Fla, Goob, Stefan, me, a new guy Blase on github), and potentially any UI newcomer.
What's a task force? Well, for now, just a logical grouping, an idea, but we can maybe start with a wiki page, and perhaps also a Loomio group for UI discussions. Just thinking out loud here.
I think we could use these kind of tools as a more focused common space to settle decisions and conventions as:
- Coding conventions
- Framework decisions (Bootstrap porting, etc)
- Diaspora UI standards
- UI coding help
- Reporting current status (who is doing what)
- Getting to know each other
- Share our expertise with each other
- Create findable documents and stuff regarding UI code
- Review UI issues and track status of all the UI stuff on Github
- Try to help the core contributors on reviewing and getting some work off their shoulders
- Recruit potentially new contributors
And so on, to make all UI contributors be on the same page.
I would propose to do that using only current tools, as introducing (at least in my experience) new ones often lead to abandoned sharing places.
Of course, no task force should be a closed one, everything should be shared publicly with all members to discuss. But ultimately, having devoted coders/contributors on a more focused program will lead to stronger arguments and discussions.
I think this idea could be extended to other groups (security, etc) as long as the Diaspora contributor pool keeps growing, but as I'm a UI guy, I'm limiting this proposal to this one only.
Please comment and share your thoughts!