We would like some feedback on website domains.
We have a choice between sticking with osmuk.org or moving to openstreetmap.co.uk. There are cases of both in the OSM universe. For example openstreetmap.fr, osm.be and mapanica.net .
Here are our thoughts on the pros of each. Keen to hear your thoughts too. Happy for someone to start a proposal.
- Keeps openstreetmap in the URL (this is what most people probably google for)
- Does not depend on people knowing the abbreviation OSM
- Makes explicit that we are the UK based COmpany for openstreetmap
- avoids the perception that we are separate from/not related to openstreetmap
- being a .co.uk may reassure organisations that we want to work with, that we have a legal framework
- Represents what we are likely to call ourselves / already are calling ourselves (we can't stop people using the acronym).
- Aligns with twitter (we have osmuk there)
- Brings a bit of separation from all the openstreetmap DOT whatever sites:
- We understand that they are all run by different groups but will the average Joe make the distinction?
- Means our content is clearly separate from the other OSM content that we have no control over (e.g. the wiki, the "just a map" openstreetmap.org homepage)
- Allows us to build a separate brand which may be more important in the UK given that OSM started here (so we risk people thinking .org and .co.uk are the same company).
- It's an organisation about the UK. If people look for to openstreetmap(.co.uk/.com), they are likely to be looking for a map (that includes the UK) where as our homepage focus won't be a map.
- Is short.
- Does what it says on the tin - ie the "OSMUK" + "organisation".
RobJN (Director) started a proposal Thu 20 Apr 2017
Let's stick with osmuk.org Closed Thu 27 Apr 2017
During the April Directors meeting we agreed to stick with osmuk.org. Do you agree?
|Agree - 9|
|Abstain - 9|
|Disagree - 9|
|Block - 9|