The card on Trello has 4 votes so it seems like there's support for this feature.
1) A user creates a dummy discussion as an example or for testing and then realises it's in their group history forever. The User or Group wants to get rid of this discussion and never see it again.
2) A user creates a discussion within a group, a consensus is reached, the decision is acted on and "completed". The Group then wants to put this discussion into a seperate area so that it can be looked at or referenced later but isn't in the list of what is currently being decided on.
How would we want this to work and what would it look like?
Will archived discussions still be viewable? Or should there be an option when archiving to keep it in history or not. (check box?)
If archived discussions are still viewable
Will archived discussions be locked? Eg/ Can someone still comment or create a proposal on an archived discussion?
Is it better to be able to dig up "dead" discussions or start a fresh new discussion referencing the old one?
[deactivated account] started a proposal Fri 31 Oct 2014
Regroup 'pin to the top' and 'archive' features Closed Fri 7 Nov 2014
3% of members voting is not enough. One week may be not enough to let people vote, or most of 182 people in this group are not active anymore, or they're not interested in this subject.
So I will put another proposition, the Chris Talkis' one, because it's also a good proposition to talk about, and this time I will set 2 month to discuss about it and vote.
We could regroup the 'pin discussion to top' feature:
and the 'close/archive discussion' feature:
on Loomio Roadmap.
Archiving a discussion would be equal to: pin discussion to bottom and close comments. This way, sticky and archived discussion would be two sides of the same coin and could be developed together. Also I think this solution follows Loomio's principle: keep it simple :-)
|Agree - 4|
|Abstain - 0|
|Disagree - 2|
|Block - 0|
Fri 7 Nov 2014
i have better idea for close/archive.
A category on right side which the discussions will go there and won't show on main page and will have [archived] in beginning. And will be easy to search for them.
[deactivated account] started a proposal Sat 8 Nov 2014
making an archived discussions page Closed Mon 1 Dec 2014
Here is a consensus. This proposition gathered more votes than previous one, with no disagree. People prefer to have dedicated buttons and page for archives than to have only a label.
As I said in my last comment: the concept of archiving takes a crucial part in the group management process itself. Having specific buttons and access would help to formalize this step in the process, and newcomers would understand instantly what is passed and what is present.
The proposition provides a detailed description of how archive process can be handled, which seems to please most of Loomio's beta testers.
Since this subject has been more discussed and developed, I expect its card in Trello's roadmap will go to 'soon improvement', but I don't know how this happens. Please let us know!
Archiving discussion should happen this way:
- in the discussion options (the cog-wheel menu), there is a button 'archive discussion';
- when you click this button, it asks for a confirmation (in case you miss-click);
- if you confirm, then comments and propositions become inactive, the title of the discussion is preceded by '[archived]', and the discussion does not appear anymore on the main page;
- on the right side of any group, there is a button 'archives' that let you access to the page where all archived discussions appears;
- you can read an archived discussion just like a normal one, the difference is that you can't comment or propose anymore;
- in the archived discussion options (the cog-wheel menu), instead of the 'archive discussion' button, there is a 'reopen discussion' button, that allows you to get back the discussion to the main page, with comments and propositions opened again;
- a discussion can't be archived when a proposition is currently running in it;
- only coordinators can archive and reopen discussions (later there could be another option in the permissions group menu).
People then will have choice, when talking again about a subject, to get back the discussion, or if it is too old, to open a new one and reference the old one, still accessible.
I think that this archive feature would be a great help for the Loomio Community group itself, then for Loomio's development, because there are already a lot of old thread that just get users lost. It's like a virtuous circle for Loomio's improvement.
|Agree - 23|
|Abstain - 1|
|Disagree - 0|
|Block - 0|
Wed 26 Nov 2014
Group decision making is a complex business as it is - reducing the clutter by archiving now-irrelevant discussions will simplify the interface and improve the user ability to find and focus on what is important. This Proposal was well presented.