QGIS 3.0 Soft Feature Freeze
Please refer to the previous discussion on the developer list for more context on this discussion. This thread is to determine when the feature freeze for 3.0 will take effect. The following items are currently listed as exempt from the freeze:
- Datum transform handling (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5535)
- SAGA Support (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5155)
- GRASS Support (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5426)
- Metadata write support to file system (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5379)
- UI Widgets for drag forms (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5467)
- Composer refactor ( https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5486 to drop bindings and new PR to come for composer refactor).
- New QGIS Welcome page (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/102)
According to our proposal the freeze status will be voted on a fortnightly basis.
Tim Sutton started a proposal November 26th, 2017 22:24
The soft freeze should be continued for another two weeks. Closed 10:03pm - Wednesday 29 Nov 2017
Please vote AGREE if you agree to continue the soft freeze for another two weeks and DISAGREE if you desire the soft freeze to be terminated and no new features admitted into the 3.0 code base.
For some context, here are the latest updates from Nyall:
Here's the updates to the work granted soft freeze exemptions, which
occurred over the last 2 weeks (*just to my knowledge, not
- Processing SAGA provider: merged!
- Processing GRASS provider: merged!
- Datum transform refactoring: PR for the core changes is open, but needs in depth review by at least 2 core developers. GUI component is being worked on by Denis, but is blocked by the core PR.
- Layouts: still WIP - all existing item types have now been ported (but not merged to master yet), so I've just got a few remaining functions to port (exporting, saving, templates)
- Metadata store: PR has been reviewed, waiting on required changes to be made
- Forms & fields gui rework: merged!
So we're a lot closer than two 3 weeks ago :)
|Agree - 17|
|Abstain - 8|
|Disagree - 0|
|Block - 0|
November 28th, 2017 08:47
Not an easy one. Of course I'd like to see all the good features landing in QGIS 3. But I also think we need to make users confident about our ability to respect a delivery schedule
Tim Sutton started a proposal December 15th, 2017 22:52
Shall we continue the soft freeze for two more weeks? Closed 10:09pm - Monday 18 Dec 2017
Please see https://www.loomio.org/d/38Aiya0q/3-0-soft-freeze-exemptions for any other incoming exception requests. I can report that the metadata write support will be done by the end of the next freeze cycle if it is approved.
|Agree - 13|
|Abstain - 0|
|Disagree - 0|
|Block - 0|
December 17th, 2017 08:46
I'm with the others .. This should be the last extension. We're close to have everything included and at some point should come to an end and fullfill the predictions we do for our "professional" users
Tim Sutton started a proposal January 1st, 2018 19:39
Shall we continue the soft freeze for two more weeks? Closed 7:34pm - Thursday 4 Jan 2018
Please see https://www.loomio.org/d/38Aiya0q/3-0-soft-freeze-exemptions for any other incoming exception requests.
|Agree - 2|
|Abstain - 3|
|Disagree - 4|
|Block - 0|
January 1st, 2018 21:05
Unsure... Final two PRs are in for layouts work (and will hopefully be merged before this poll expires!). Can we get a status report on the remaining metadata work?
January 1st, 2018 23:30
@nyall the metadata work we were hoping to have done before the xmas break. Etienne is just finishing up the file system read/write support - I hope he will have it within the next week or so. Any plans for ATLAS support in 3.0?
January 2nd, 2018 01:27
I think we've reached a point where we sounds terminate the soft freeze and declare its use a success story. The vote-every-two-weeks method turned out to be a great way to give devs flexibility while avoiding a total absence of ETA altogether.
January 3rd, 2018 08:25
I think that we'd benefit from at least one more week: the layout PR is not yet completed and there might be are other PRs in the queue that worth a closer look.
January 3rd, 2018 10:34
IMHO we can move to the hard freeze if remaining pull-requests will be reviewed and merged in reasonable time
January 3rd, 2018 10:55
I think it's time to move on and set the finish line. Let's push towards getting things fixed and call it a release cycle. Qt is also aiming at version 6, so we can do 4 as well :D http://blog.qt.io/blog/2017/02/22/qt-roadmap-for-2017/
January 3rd, 2018 15:07
After long thinking, +1 for the very last time, so Nyall and Etienne have a bit more flexibility with last minute changes. Other PRs seem to be a bit abandoned, so I hope it won't really postpone the release.