Loomio

Add Persona Log in to Diaspora

F Flaburgan Public Seen by 83
F

Poll Created Wed 12 Sep 2012 9:22AM

Add Persona Log in to Diaspora Closed Thu 20 Sep 2012 11:37AM

Persona (was called BrowserID) is a system powered by Mozilla which allow you to link your browser with e-mail addresses. See https://www.persona.org/ and https://github.com/mozilla/persona.org

You need to log once, and you're logged on every web-site which implements Persona. (Better than OpenID !)

I think that if we put Persona on Diaspora, it will be very powerful to provide support to users. We can offer a forum, a platform for suggestion, etc and nobody need to subscribe on each web site. And if we talk about it to Loom.io developers, maybe Loom.io can implement it too.

I already deploy it on some web site, it is REALLY simple. 30 lines, maximum.

Think the non-multiplication of accounts is a requirement to have a real participation of all the community.

Results

Results Option % of points Voters
Agree 100.0% 4 FS JR F SH
Abstain 0.0% 0  
Disagree 0.0% 0  
Block 0.0% 0  
Undecided 0% 136 JL BK ST MS TS AA S CB HF BO JH DM GC JH M EG G AX PC PP

4 of 140 people have participated (2%)

SH

Steven Hancock
Abstain
Wed 12 Sep 2012 12:12PM

I'd have to know more about how this works before saying yes or no.. but as far as I can tell we should be able to use this with OmniAuth

SH

Steven Hancock
Agree
Wed 12 Sep 2012 12:19PM

After looking at their site this seems pretty simple to integrate with OmniAuth for the Diaspora app and the PHP code to make it work with MediaWiki, Drupal, etc. wouldn't be too complicated either.

FS

Florian Staudacher
Agree
Wed 12 Sep 2012 7:42PM

I agree with Jason: "anything making it easier to join a D* pod should be done" ;)

A

altruism Wed 12 Sep 2012 9:28AM

Interesting, OpenID is good but have some disadvantages. I will read some about this "persona" and then I will get back.

A

altruism Wed 12 Sep 2012 10:10AM

Does it work with Opera, Chrome and other browsers? :)

F

Flaburgan Wed 12 Sep 2012 11:20AM

Altruism : Of course ! Everything Mozilla makes work on every platform ;)

The web site just have to do a POST request to the Mozilla server, and parse the JSON answer to know if the user is log in or not. I can do it really easily.

FS

Florian Staudacher Wed 12 Sep 2012 11:34AM

I'm always pro-'everything that makes it more interoperable'.
I think the best way to get this integrated would be a plugin for the devise gem...

F

Flaburgan Wed 12 Sep 2012 11:48AM

Florian : I really know NOTHING about Ruby, I don't know what a gem is, but if you look at this example of implementation you will see that it is something really small.

Load More