Loomio
Sat 24 Nov 2012 10:55PM

Link to external user profile

RDB Richard D. Bartlett Public Seen by 69

At the moment we have the bare minimum of a user profile: when you click on a user's name, you get a popover with name, avatar, and email address. We got a interesting suggestion in the inbox today: what if we gave the user an optional field to give a link to an external profile/blog/website/etc:

"For example, I will put a link to my Diaspora profile. If someone click on my name in Loom.io, he will redirect to my profile on Diaspora, so he will know who i am. This is to escape the necessity of implement profile inside Loom.io.

The idea comes from this discussion"

ST

Sean Tilley Sun 25 Nov 2012 4:08AM

I actually really like this idea; a simple link field seems like an easy enough way to highlight where a user may be most likely to be reached by other members on Loomio.

RG

Robert Guthrie Sun 25 Nov 2012 5:58AM

I'm not so into this..

Why not just have a (markdown formatted?) profile field on the user? a simple box they can fill in if they want..And have a website field for people to link to their website if they choose?

JL

Jon Lemmon Sun 25 Nov 2012 9:46PM

Cool idea. The only thing is that I think if we linked their username directly to an external profile it might be a bit... sticky in terms of UX (e.g. when I click on this person's username, I have no clue what is going to happen). Also, since we are going to have Loomio user profiles in the future (showing voting/comment history), I would think that we will eventually need the username link to go to a Loomio profile.

Rob's idea sounds like a good start though. Give the user a website field they can fill out (which will display on their pop-up profile). And potentially some markdown text which they can fill out and might display on their pop-up profile as well. We can make the website link quite prominent in the popup, so it will essentially have the same effect (i.e. I want to know who this person is, so I click on their name, see a link to their diaspora profile and click that).

AI

Alanna Irving Tue 27 Nov 2012 1:09AM

How about just a blank text field that users can put whatever they like in, including a link to an external profile? Make it as simple as possible and see what users decide to do with it.

AT

Aaron Thornton Thu 29 Nov 2012 10:36AM

Sounds like something you could call a 'hand bag'

RG

Robert Guthrie Fri 30 Nov 2012 12:07AM

I'll give you a hand bag

SE

Steven Ebsary Sun 19 Feb 2017 3:35AM

i like this idea. facebook etc would be useful. even custom url. if not atleast add some more options, perhaps per group, but atleast some signature and about fields

DU

William Asiata Mon 17 Apr 2017 8:30AM

Could include links to unlimited list of external profiles in bio?
eg FB, LinkedIn, Twitter, about.me, Youtube, etc...